Intellectual Property and Innovation
Trademarks, patents, non-patented technologies, software and copyrights are assets that need to be carefully protected, managed and negotiated, with a view on innovation. Our intellectual property practice is renowned for delivering excellent services with attention to detail and strategic vision in order to protect these intangible assets. the practice is recognized as top tier in the most important rankings of the sector.
Our multijurisdictional assistance works in collaboration with a wide international network of specialized law firms abroad to protect and monitor the intellectual property rights of multinationals companies operating in Brazil and Brazilian companies engaged in international business.
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements for intellectual property licenses and assignment of intellectual property rights, technology transfers, technical services, franchising, software, image use and content use licensing, co-branding and technological cooperation, research and development, and several other intellectual property related contracts;
- Legal assistance on procedures to protect and monitor trademarks, patents, industrial designs, software, copyrights, and other assets;
- Assistance and monitoring of administrative, civil and criminal proceedings concerning infringement of intellectual property rights (collision of brands, copies, piracy, plagiarism, unfair competition, etc.);
- Intellectual Property due diligence;
- Counsel on taxation of intellectual property and innovation issues;
- Specialized training to our clients on: intellectual property licensing techniques and strategies, organization and management of intellectual property portfolios, etc;
- Visits to clients’ plant to assist in the identification of new projects in need of protection;
- Assistance to clients from the most diverse market sectors;
- Assistance on innovation, creation and protection of disruptive businesses.
In addition to our services for intellectual property matters, our sector approach ensures that our lawyers truly understand the healthcare and life sciences industries, which have their own inherent regulatory and commercial challenges. Our lawyers provide comprehensive advice on all aspects of pharmaceutical, medical devices, social insurance, and hospital law.
The firm advises hospital groups, health systems, insurance providers, financial investors and other players in the healthcare sector dealing with complex transactional, investigatory, litigation, antitrust and competition, and regulatory issues.
And whether a client requires product liability support, patent registration, M&A or licensing and permit of activities, Demarest has a dedicated team of lawyers ready to act in a vast array of legal disciplines.