Positioning (by Demarest Advogados - São Paulo)
Energy and Natural Resources
Partnership. This is the focal point of Demarest's Energy department. It is formed by a multidisciplinary team experienced in providing services to concessionaires, investors, consumers and government agencies and working side by side with our clients, focusing on efficiency and results.
The activities conducted by the Energy Department include:
- Energy consulting and dispute resolution, in matters involving energy regulatory agencies (Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency - ANEEL; National Agency of Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels - ANP; and state agencies), related bodies (Brazilian Water Agency - ANA; Brazilian Institute for the Environment and Renewable Natural Resources - IBAMA; state agencies; National Department of Mineral Production - DNPM; National Indian Foundation - Funai, etc.) and further grantees (generation, transmission, distribution or commercialization of electricity, oil and gas) in all stages (procurement, construction and maintenance);
- performance of due diligence investigations involving companies in the energy sector;
- negotiations, drafting and review of contracts in the energy sector;
- advice on projects on energy obtained from the most varied sources, and on all activities related to the sector;
- advice on participation in bidding processes and undertakings;
- project finance and restructuring of energy companies' debts; and
- advice on issues involving environmental laws applied to the energy sector.
Oil and Gas
With a solid background in large-scale operations and complex cases, our highly specialized team provides strategic advice on structuring and negotiating transactions involving significant assets, preparing complex agreements, project financing, and bidding processes.
The multi-disciplinary Demarest team offers a full service for companies throughout the oil and gas chain, providing practical and safe solutions in all areas of law. Support in regulatory, corporate, tax, labor, environmental and foreign trade areas, among others, provide clients with an easy one-stop shop with practical experience in the sector.
With a strong litigation and arbitration team, we also support companies in the oil and gas sector in preventing and resolving conflicts, with strategies that seek quick and efficient results.
As we have close relationships with our clients, we understand the trends that affect the oil and gas industry and are prepared to provide advice on all its challenges.
Our environmental practice offers transaction, litigation and regulatory counseling for a wide range of environmental issues.
In addition to counseling clients on legal requirements and voluntary codes and standards, we advise on drafting policies and designing and implementing compliance programs and management systems, conduct internal investigations and draft and review environmental impact statements.
Our team has broad experience in every aspect of the mining sector, particularly in mapping risks throughout the production chain, from the first conception of the business, the extraction process, treatment and industrialization to the final delivery of the product to the domestic or the international market. We also assist our clients in identifying new business opportunities.
Our legal knowledge of the sector combined with the work of technical experts enables us to offer effective solutions that are compatible with the specific needs of the mining companies during the development of the enterprise to its closing.
Our services include advice on negotiations of mining matters, handling corporate transactions, regulatory aspects, risk management in mining developments, due diligence and litigation (in court and arbitration).
This is a complex sector with special features and we help our clients by bringing together the best team of professionals in the mining, environmental, corporate, labor and tax practice areas. Our goal is to offer agile solutions that are technically feasible and legally secure from day-today needs to scenarios that are more complex.
We understand the business, government regulation, public relations, science, and markets in the agriculture industry and advise clients on their business needs. Our multidisciplinary team provides legal counsel and representation to a full spectrum of production and processing ventures in a variety of agricultural commodities, grain, livestock, farming, and forest industries. We also stay on top of emerging issues of biotechnology, food safety, state, and federal regulations and biofuels.
Our distinctive agribusiness strengths also cover a full range of agribusiness activities, including input supply, processing, value-added manufacturing, wholesale distribution, import/export, regulatory compliance, agri-finance in the financial and capital markets and the treatment of tangible bills of lading and warehouse receipts, both negotiable and non-negotiable, as well as electronic bills of lading and warehouse receipts. We know the legal, business and practical issues related to food and agriculture and our agribusiness related services also include overall contracting, cooperatives, litigation, real estate, labeling, marketing, and food safety.