BARLAW arises from the experience gained by its members in activities related to the protection of Intellectual Property of national and foreign clients, as well as the field work carried out in application of legal measures against product piracy and counterfeiting, which its founding members have performed for more than 20 years. This experience is embodied in a broad knowledge of protection and defense of Intellectual Property in Peru, and also of the legal procedures that this specialty requires before different public entities.
Professionals in BARLAW provide legal advice and defense that meet the highest quality standards, with a personalized approach in an opportune and efficient manner, acting coordinately with the design, implementation, and execution of strategies that allow our clients to maintain efficient management of issues related to IP in business.
Currently, our practice includes a wide spectrum of services such as:
• Clearance, registration, maintenance/monitoring of trademarks in Peru and other countries.
• Legal advice and proceedings: Patents, utility models, industrial designs and plant varieties matters.
• Software and copyright protection.
• Trademark and other IP rights surveillance.
• Legal advice and recordal of licenses, assignments, mergers, demergers and acquisitions.
• Defense of IP rights, as oppositions, appeals, infringement actions, cancellations, nullities.
• Integral brand protection strategies against piracy and counterfeiting including IP rights recordal before
Customs, investigations, market surveys, test purchases, raids, trainings, online monitoring.
• Dissuasive strategies to cease illicit activities such as cease and desist letters, negotiations, settlement
agreements and undertakings.
• Litigation and dispute resolution in civil and criminal cases related to IP matters.
• Franchising and licensing agreements, technology transfer and all IP related contracts.
• Legal advice in e-commerce and internet issues. Domain name registration and disputes.
• Defense and legal advice in unfair competition, legal advice in marketing and advertising.
• Defense in consumer protection matters.
• Regulatory affairs; sanitary registrations: food & beverages, drugs/pharmaceutical products, cosmetics,
veterinary products, agricultural products (pesticides, herbicides).
• Data privacy
IP practice is performed altogether with corporate affairs required by our clients, which include commercial contracts, incorporation of companies and its internal and legal management and other related affairs that are
connected to corporate matters, and therefore, take part in the permanent practice of BARLAW.
BARLAW has been recognized as a leader IP firm by different international rankings as The Global IP Awards
– Peruvian trademark firm of the year 2020, Managing IP – Peruvian IP firm of the year 2020, Legal 500, Chambers & Partners, WTR 1000, MIP Latin America Firm to watch 2019, Latin Lawyer
– Specialist firm leader, IP Stars, Leaders League, Managing IP- Top 250 Women in IP 2019, Women in Business Law, Global Law Experts, WIPR – Influential Women in IP 2019 and Women in Business Law Expert Guide.